Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

How to Paint a Crock Pot

I was looking to see if they sold Crock Pots with cool designs since I was getting bored with my white one. They don't so I figured I could make my own. Since I love have an obsession with polka dots, this seemed like a perfect idea. 



I saw on Pinterest a washing machine that was aqua with white polka dots, but my husband veoted that idea. Which really would have been way more work than I wanted to tackle anyway. And I figured if the Crock Pot didn't turn out, I could buy a new one. If the washer was a disaster, I'd still be stuck with it.

I gathered supplies, which included a circle punch, painters tape (vinyl would also work, but I have plenty of painters tape on hand) and High Heat spray paint. Black was the only color available, although I would have preferred aqua...

I started with the 1.5 quart Crock Pot (it is the cheapest to replace since it is the smallest). As with most things, it is the fear of failure that prevents us from tackling a project.
I cut out circles from the painter's tape with my punch and put them on the Crock Pot in random patterns, paying special attention to cover the dials for Off, Low, High and Warm so I did not paint over those.
I also covered the bottom where the cords are with plastic and more painters tape
 
Then I spray painted the High Heat paint all over the exterior of the crock pot.
The finished product!

This is the back - obviously:) The only thing I would have done differently is covered the handles so they stayed white. I use my Crock Pots quite a bit so I will report back to let you know how the new paint is holding up.

~Angela

18 comments:

Karyl said...

very cute

Kate said...

Found ya on the blog hop :) This is adorable! I would have never thought you could paint a crock pot... very cute!

Anonymous said...

will this work on a stainless steel crock pot? Thanks for the idea, very cute!

angela said...

I would think stainless would also work but I have not attempted it on my stainless one:) please let me know if you do!

Anonymous said...

Angela, this is so fabulous! Let us know how the paint holds up after your first use. They only thing I would be concerned about is the new paint adhering to the powder coat color that was put on originally. I guess I would have lightly sanded the original coating or primed the surface first. But what you did may work. Keep us posted!
Jeri

Buttercup said...

Great idea! I think I will definitely try this on my ancient floral crockpot :)

Ann said...

Now that's a totally fun idea! Thanks for the how-to.

Connie said...

Hi Angela: This is great.
I'm Connie stopping by from the networking blog hop, now your new GF friend. I would love it if you stop by http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, and be mine, too.

Terry said...

I have this same crock pot...and I love polka dots, maybe I will do this too. So simple! Thanks

Marie said...

I just did mine in pink! I found a website that sells colored high heat paint!! Thanks for the great idea!! How does it work once heated up?

angela said...

Please share the website!! And I would love to see a picture of yours:)

I have used my crock pot several times and the paint is holding up beautifully!! I'll post an update about it-thanks for finding me!!

angela said...

Paint is holding beautifully!!

Nonny said...

That is a fantastic idea!! Love it!

This would work for a kitchen aide mixer too.!

Thanks for sharing!!

kimberely said...

Very cute. I thought the same as you regarding the colors. I found heat resistant paint(other than black) and primer at the local auto store. Haven't painted the crock yet...still trying to fix a handle.

sew sweet vintage said...

What a great idea. I pinned this! Stop over. I posted http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/search/label/Let%20it%20Snow to the USS party:) Happy Holidays!

Renee said...

LOL COOL! I did my washer,and dryer last summer. hahahah now to tackle my crockpot, Thank you for the idea..

christina marie said...

did you sand it down first at all? i'm really wanting to paint my old crock pot but i'm worried about the paint peeling :/

Angela said...

I didn't sand it down and I wash my crock pot down with a wet washcloth and Clorox after every use- it it holding up!!

pin it

02

you may also enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...